IGF-RMF Webinar | Regulatory Tools for Gender Equality in Mining
Gender equality is clearly a challenge for the mining industry. In mining companies and mining-affected communities, women are most often at a disadvantage compared to their male counterparts. Companies need to be proactive in counteracting potential biases to avoid unintended effects on women. However, research shows that such gender-responsive measures, while implemented by some companies, are still far from standard practice in the industry. Therefore governments in mining countries have a vital role to play in setting regulatory frameworks to ensure responsible practices on gender in mining.
Join us on Tuesday, September 28 at 09:00 EDT / 13:00 GMT / 15:00 CEST for a webinar presenting the results of recent research on company practices and government actions on gender equality in mining. Expert panellists will share experiences from government and industry and explore the following questions:
- What is the status of gender-responsive action within the mining industry? What leading practices can be seen?
- What kinds of regulatory tools are being used to drive stronger action by mining companies? What are the challenges in developing and implementing these tools?
- How do mining companies respond to requirements and regulations on gender equality? What challenges do they face in addressing gender issues across their operations?
This webinar is hosted by the IGF in partnership with the Responsible Mining Foundation (RMF). Interpretation will be provided for participants in English, French, and Spanish.
- Ege Tekinbas, Gender Equality Advisor, IGF
- Hermien Botes, Head of Sustainability Engagement, Anglo American
- Aubrey Menard, Senior Policy Advisor, Extractive Industries at Oxfam America
- Marie Paz Rodríguez Mier, Gender Equity Leader, Ministry of Mines and Energy, Colombia
- Minh On, Acting Deputy Director, Natural Resources Canada
- Jennifer Rietbergen-McCracken, Senior Advisor, RMF