We comply with the 10 fair information principles set out in Canada’s Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA):
- Accountability. We are responsible for personal information in our possession or custody, including information that has been transferred to a third party for processing.
- Identifying Purposes. We specify the legitimate purposes for which we collect your personal information at or before the time of collection.
- Consent. Your knowledge and consent are required for the collection, use, or disclosure of personal information, except where inappropriate. You may at any time withdraw your consent and notify us that we may no longer collect, maintain or disclose your personal information.
- Limiting Collection. Our collection of your personal information is limited to that which is necessary for the purposes identified by IISD. We collect personal information by fair and lawful means only.
- Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention. We do not use or disclose your personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with your consent or as required by law. We retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill those purposes.
- Accuracy. Your personal information will be as accurate, complete and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used, taking into account your interests.
- Safeguards. We protect personal information by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
- Openness. We are open about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information and can make them readily available to you upon request.
- Individual Access. Upon request, we will inform you of the existence, use and disclosure of your personal information and give you access to that information, within reasonable time at minimal or no cost to you.
- Challenging Compliance. We investigate and address any complaint or inquiry you may make concerning IGF/IISD’s compliance with the above principles.